An official website of the United States government

March 11, 2022

As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240 which is a basic United States citizenship document.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please refer to Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship. Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in posession of a valid U.S passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country, as well.

Transmission of U.S. citizenship depends on:

  1. At least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth;
  2. The existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s);
  3. Documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth, as specified in the Transmission Requirements Table below.

Examples of Documentation

Some examples of documentary evidence which may be considered to demonstrate that physical presence requirements have been met may include (but are not limited to):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
  • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.

If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence. Please also read important information regarding Supporting Documents.


An American citizen child born outside the United States will be issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). This document establishes the child’s status as an American citizen and is recognized as the equivalent of a birth certificate issued in the United States. We recommend that parents apply as soon as possible after your child’s birth, as the CRBA must be issued before the child may apply for a United States passport.  A CRBA may not be issued to a child after the 18th birthday.

Both parents and child must personally appear at the U.S. Embassy.

How to Apply: To book an appointment please click here.

Please click here to schedule an appointment for passport, report of birth, notary, or other services.

The following documents are required to issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad to a child born in The Gambia:

  1. Birth certificate issued by the Registrar of Births and Deaths in The Gambia.
  2. Marriage certificate of parents.  If the parents are not married, please ask a consular officer about special requirements.
  3. If either parent was previously married, evidence of the termination of previous marriages.  Normally, such evidence consists of a divorce order, annulment decree, or death certificate.
  4. Evidence of the American citizenship of both parents, such as a United States passport, naturalization certificate or a birth certificate from the United States.
  5. Second parent’s government Photo identification.   Passports are preferable.
  6. If only one parent is an American citizen, that parent must show evidence of his or her physical presence in the United States. Such evidence often consists of previous passports, educational records (school or university transcripts), rent receipts, etc. The American citizen parent must show:
    – For children born after November 14, 1986: at least five years of physical presence in the United States, including two years after the age of fourteen.
    – For children born before November 14, 1986: at least ten years of physical presence in the United States, including five years after the age of fourteen.

7.  Two 2”x 2” photos of the child.

  1. Additional documentation: mother’s maternity card , child’s clinic card
  2. U.S. passport application (Form DS-11) is processed at the same time for the child.

NOTE: All documents must be submitted in original or certified copy Incomplete applications may be asked to return at a later date.

Fees are collected in cash only, in United States dollars or the equivalent in Gambian dalasis. The cost of a CRBA is $100.  The U.S. passport is $115.

Completing the Forms: DS-2029 (PDF 345KB), DS-3053 (PDF 42KB),DS-5507 (PDF 281KB)

Please complete all sections of the forms in block capitals and in black ink.

Note: Effective September 6, 2011 all routine consular services at the U.S. Embassy Banjul, The Gambia will be provided by appointment only to all U.S. citizens visiting or residing in The Gambia. There will no longer be walk-in hours for routine consular services. Emergency cases (such as medical emergencies, deaths or arrests involving American citizens) will still be handled on a walk-in basis during normal Embassy hours, or after hours by calling the Embassy duty officer.

Please click here to schedule an appointment for passport, report of birth, notary, or other services.

More Information

For more information about applying for a CRBA, please visit the State Department Bureau of Consular Affairs website.