The US Embassy Banjul, in collaboration with the Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM) is pleased to welcome proposals for the Julia Taft Refugee Fund from potential partners working in the area of refugee protection in The Gambia. Successful projects under the Julia Taft Refugee Fund are meant to meet low-cost gaps in refugee protection and assistance in The Gambia. This initiative also provides the U.S. Ambassador with the means to respond to critical gaps that have not been addressed in larger multilateral refugee programs. In FY2019, projects were funded in 43 different countries around the globe with 22 of them located in Africa. PRM is pleased to renew the Julia Taft Refugee Fund for FY 2020, and Embassy Banjul is pleased to solicit proposals from NGOs, whose area of operation covers communities where the refugees are hosted.
The following criteria/guidelines govern appropriate use of the Julia Taft Refugee Fund:
- Primarily, the funds are meant to support projects that assist refugees or refugee returnees. The target beneficiary base should consist of at least 50 percent refugees or returnees. Returnees are people who are internally displaced persons, vulnerable migrants, and stateless persons.
- Programs should address one-time interventions, not sustained programs.
- Consideration for support is also given to projects that benefit both populations of concern and their host communities.
- The fund is not meant as an emergency fund.
- The total grant available is a maximum of $25,000.
Proposals should be submitted in writing to the U.S. Embassy in Banjul by January 30, 2020. Please note that we will be unable to accept proposals after this deadline.
Contact the U.S. Embassy Banjul Political and Economic Office, at PolEconBanjul@state.gov, should you need any additional information. Proposals should be emailed to Kebba Touray at TourayK@state.gov. We regret we are unable to accept proposals in hard copy.
We look forward to working with you to realize the best proposal/s from The Gambia, and anticipate your speedy response.