An official website of the United States government

Child and Family Matters
Apply Online for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
December 27, 2023


  • Applicants must have a Login.gov account to access eCRBA services on the MyTravelGov portal. Instructions for creating a Login.gov account are available at MyTravel.state.gov. If you already have an eCRBA application in progress, use the same email address previously used to access the MyTravelGov website to create and account. This ensures a streamlined linkage between your existing profile and the new authentication system.

What is a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)?

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). United States non-citizen nationals are also eligible for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, using the non-citizen option.
CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth.

How To Apply


Before you begin the online CRBA application, please read through the CRBA checklist carefully. For eligibility to transmit citizenship, please read Acquisition of American Citizenship.

1) To apply for a CRBA online, you need to create a MyTravelGov account or sign-in to your existing account. MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal that you can use to start an eCRBA application or access an existing eCRBA application.

2) Once you sign in or create a MyTravelGov account you can access eCRBA and submit your application online. The easy-to-use online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions on how to complete the application. You may review the necessary documents for the CRBA application in advance by reviewing the checklist.

3) Once you complete the online application and submit payment, you will then be directed to schedule your appointment at the Embassy or Consulate nearest to you.

Please schedule your appointment at least 5 working days after payment submission. This provides time for your payment to be processed prior to your CRBA interview.

Please Note: Do NOT make another (or duplicate) payment for a CRBA ($100) at the Embassy.

4) Attend your scheduled in-person interview with your child, original documents, and their photocopies (single-sided). Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application. You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents. The child must be present at the time of application. Generally, both parents also attend the interview.


Need a duplicate copy of CRBA?

If you would like a duplicate/additional copy of your Consular Report of Birth Abroad, please visit the Department of State website to find the information needed to submit your request. The U.S. Embassies/Consulates around the world do not keep records of your Consular Report of Birth Abroad and cannot issue duplicate/additional copies.

A written request letter can be notarized at no cost at the Embassy/Consulate. Please book a notary appointment here.