This demonstration alert is for U.S. citizens residing or traveling in The Gambia.
Location: Anticipated gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following areas in Banjul:
- Sting Corner – junction of Banjul Serrekunda Highway and Bertil Harding Highway
- Denton Bridge
Events: Demonstrations organized by ‘Operation Three Years Jotna’ are expected to take place during the day on January 19, followed by demonstrations organized by ‘Gambia for Five Years’ during the day on January 20. These events are likely to cause severe traffic congestion going in and out of Banjul. Details of these events may change with little notice, and the possibility exists for additional, spontaneous demonstration locations.
U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid those areas during the morning and afternoon hours.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Banjul, The Gambia
During regular operating hours: +220-438-1341
After-hours emergency: +220-439-2856
U.S. Embassy Banjul website: https://gm.usembassy.gov/
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- The Gambia Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter