The following Health Alert was sent to U.S. Citizens in The Gambia who are registered in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. It reflected the situation as of Noon, March 17, 2020. For the most up-to-date information on the COVID-19 crisis, please visit our COVID-19 Information Page.
Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Banjul, The Gambia (March 17, 2020)
Location: The Gambia
Event: As of March 17, The Gambia has no confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders.
The government of The Gambia has implemented enhanced screening measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
Effective March 17, U.S. Embassy Banjul has suspended routine visa services. The Consular Section remains open for American Citizen Services. Please visit our website for additional information.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 3 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
The Embassy has restricted all but mission essential foreign travel for embassy personnel, implemented a 14 day self-quarantine protocol for embassy personnel returning from CDC Level 3 designated locations, and implemented “social distancing” policies, to include avoiding large crowds/groups. On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in The Gambia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Banjul, The Gambia
- 92 Kairaba Avenue
- Fajara, Banjul, The Gambia
- During regular operating hours: +220-438-1341
- After-hours emergency: +220-439-2856
- U.S. Embassy Banjul website: https://gm.usembassy.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- The Gambia Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter