Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Banjul, The Gambia (March 25, 2020)
Location: The Gambia
Event: COVID-19 Crisis
The Gambia Ministry of Health confirmed cases of COVID-19 in The Gambia.
If you are a U.S. Citizen and would like to be notified of commercial flights or evacuation options leaving from The Gambia, please provide your information by filling out the online form: https://tinyurl.com/u6bes4y.
The government of The Gambia has closed borders and Gambian airspace and implemented quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
The government of The Gambia has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Schools and universities are closed until April 7, 2020, sporting events, festivals, large gatherings have been banned.
Effective March 17, 2020, U.S. Embassy Banjul has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information https://gm.usembassy.gov/.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
U.S. government personnel has restricted all but mission essential foreign travel for Embassy personnel, implemented a 14-day self-quarantine protocol for embassy personnel returning from CDC Level 3 designated locations, and implemented “social distancing” policies to include avoiding large crowds/groups. On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid Travel to The Gambia
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in The Gambia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Banjul, The Gambia
92 Kairaba Avenue
Fajara, Banjul, The Gambia
During regular operating hours: +220-438-1341
After-hours emergency: +2204392856
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- The Gambia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter