Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Banjul, The Gambia (March 28, 2020)
Location: The Gambia
Event: COVID-19 Crisis
As of March 28, the Gambian Ministry of Health has confirmed three cases of COVID-19 and a fourth probable case in The Gambia, including one fatality, and the Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. On March 27, the Gambian government declared a state of emergency, directing the suspension of all non-essential services. Essential services – to include medical services, vendors of food, fuel and other essential commodities, and banks – may remain open. The U.S. Embassy will be sending daily updates concerning this situation.
We recognize that this has been a challenging period for many of our fellow Americans, particularly those of you seeking to depart The Gambia following the suspension of flights from the airport in Banjul. The U.S. Embassy is not aware of any future commercial flights to the United States from The Gambia at this time. The Department of State is exploring potential options to organize a charter flight for U.S. citizens from The Gambia. In the event that an opportunity becomes available, we are asking you to inform us of your desire to return to the United States.
If you are a U.S. Citizen and would like to be notified of commercial flights or evacuation options leaving from The Gambia, please provide your information by filling out this online form. If you have already completed this form, you do not need to do so again.
If a repatriation flight or other departure options become available, we will provide you with logistical information including the departure date, destination, and cost per seat. It is important to note that seats are traditionally offered at-charge on a first-come, first-serve basis to U.S. citizens and, space permitting, for qualifying non-citizen dependents. Private U.S. citizens seeking to depart would be required to sign a promissory note agreeing to repay the costs to the U.S. government after their return to the United States.
Repatriation flights may be performed in coordination with other U.S. Embassies in the region – we ask that you remain flexible and prepared as notification of a flight or other departure option may be given with little advance notification.
If you have difficulty submitting the form, please send an email to ConsularBanjul@state.gov with the subject line “Return to the U.S.” Please include the following information for each U.S. citizen, non-citizen dependent, or U.S. legal permanent resident guardian accompanying minor children in your family or group:
- Full name as it appears in your passport
- Citizenship (if not United States)
- Date of birth
- Passport number
- Dates of passport issuance and expiration
- Email address and contact phon number
- Current location
Please also ensure that your passports and other documentation are current and valid for at least six months from today’s date.
Effective March 17, 2020, U.S. Embassy Banjul has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information https://gm.usembassy.gov/.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid Travel to The Gambia
- If you are a U.S. Citizen in The Gambia and require assistance to return to the United States, please fill out the online form.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in The Gambia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- Review the daily situation report on The Gambia Ministry of Health’s Facebook and Twitter feeds.
- U.S. Embassy Banjul, The Gambia
92 Kairaba Avenue
Fajara, Banjul, The Gambia
During regular operating hours: +220-438-1341
After-hours emergency: +2204392856
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- The Gambia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter