The Gambia, Countrywide
The Gambia’s presidential election is scheduled for December 4, 2021. Thus far the presidential campaign has proceeded peacefully, with no reports of political violence or social unrest. However, even peaceful elections can become confrontational and escalate to violence. Exercise caution and try to avoid large gatherings and protests.
As a general precaution and because election day is a national holiday with a focus on citizens voting, U.S. government personnel not participating in election observation have been advised to remain near their homes on election day and during the vote counting process. U.S. citizens in The Gambia are advised to take the same precaution. We will closely monitor the election process and will keep you informed should events pose a threat to U.S. citizens.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Banjul, The Gambia
During regular operating hours: +220-438-1341
After-hours emergency: +220-439-2856
- U.S. Embassy Banjul website: https://gm.usembassy.gov/
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- The Gambia Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter