Location: Banjul and all area surrounding the river Gambia
Event: Heavy and extensive flash flooding have hit The Gambia. Torrential rains and thunderstorms have caused widespread damage and affected large parts of the country, particularly the densely populated Banjul area, and areas surrounding the river Gambia. Heavy rainfall continues. U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid flooded areas.
Embassy operations are not impacted at this time.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the flooded areas in Banjul and areas adjacent to the river Gambia.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Seek secure shelter.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
The Gambia Country Information
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
Call us in Washington, D.C. at 1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada) or 1-202-501-4444 (from all other countries) from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
See traveling safely abroad for useful travel tip.